Slow Food O’ahu has created a walking tour that will help the visitor learn about the traditions and foods of the many ethnic groups that have made Chinatown home. For locals, it will deepen their existing knowledge and appreciation of their island home.
The history, cultures, and ethnic foods of this vibrant community are the focus of the tour. In keeping with the international Slow Food movement value of appreciation for cultural diversity, we have created the tour with these principles in mind:
- recognizing food as a language that expresses cultural diversity
- preserving the myriad traditions of the table
- cultivating and reinvigorating a sense of community and place
On your tour you will:
- Explore open markets where local residents purchase fresh produce, seafood, traditional foods and leis.
- Visit ethnic bakeries, a noodle factory, and specialty shops
- Sample various typical foods and tropical fruit
- See temples and historic sites
The cost is $30 for members; $40 for non-members. Please sign up at bit.ly/sfoevents All Slow Food O’ahu events are listed.